The SIOPEL Childhood Liver Tumour Study Group is dedicated to promote cooperative clinical and basic research in the field of primary childhood liver tumours. The ultimate goal of the study group is to ameliorate the prognosis and the quality of life of children affected by this rare neoplasm.
The principal missions of the SIOPEL group are:
- to develop comprehensive clinical research programs on childhood hepatoblastoma and hepatocellular carcinoma;
- to promote basic and translational research in this field, making also available biological material derived from these rare patients;
- to promote world-wide cooperation;
- to develop ‘ad hoc’ elaborated research programs for treating childhood liver tumours in countries with limited economic resources;
- to develop models to run significant research on rare tumours.